We are all too familiar with those butterflies in the stomach before stepping onto the stage or facing a big audience. That heart-pounding, sweaty palms, and your mind screaming “I’m about to forget everything!”
It’s that fear of judgment, the worry about making a mistake, or the pressure to perform perfectly that can really get to us.
The thing is, stage fright is not the enemy. Stage fright is actually your body’s reaction to the excitement and anticipation of being in the limelight.
However, it doesn’t have to control us. We can harness that nervous energy, transform it into pure stage magic, and connect with our audience even more deeply.
Ever wondered why some people seem to thrive on stage while others crumble? It’s all about how you manage those nerves and transform them into energy, enthusiasm, and confidence.
So, how do you do it? How do you convert stage fright into confidence and energy on stage?
This is where affirmations come into play.
The affirmations in this guide are designed to help you overcome stage fright and set your mind in an empowering, confident, and relaxed state before you go on stage, give that important presentation, or perform in front of an audience.
What are Affirmations?
Affirmations are simple yet powerful sentences that you repeat often to reprogram your mind and redirect your thoughts toward a positive and desired outcome, while at the same time, overcoming negative thoughts and emotions.
How Affirmations Can Help You Get Rid of Stage Fright
The words we consistently speak have a direct impact on our subconscious mind. In essence, we program our subconscious mind with anything that is said or done repeatedly.
A Research study published in 2013 by J. David Creswell (& colleagues), shows that Self-Affirmations can greatly reduce stress, enhance self-confidence, and improve our problem-solving ability, even in people who tend to be more stressed than usual.
Another study published in 2014 by S. Katherine Nelson (& colleagues) from the University of California suggests a noticeable improvement in the quality of life of people who use affirmations daily.
The participants who used affirmations every day for several weeks noticed a significant enhancement in their overall Well-Being and flow of life. They experienced more meaningfulness and satisfaction in their personal and professional lives.
80 Powerful Affirmations to Overcome Stage Fright
Affirmations for Calming Nerves Before Performance
1. I am prepared and ready to showcase my talent.
2. I trust in my abilities to deliver a stellar performance.
3. Deep breaths bring calmness and focus to my mind.
4. My nerves are a sign that I care, and I utilize those nerves as a source of energy.
5. I am relaxed and in control.
6. Each moment on stage is an opportunity to shine.
7. I radiate confidence and ease when performing.
8. I embrace the excitement of performing in front of others.
9. My body and mind are perfectly poised for this performance.
10. I transform nervous energy into a powerful stage presence.
Affirmations to Overcome Performance Anxiety
1. I am free from the shackles of anxiety.
2. I am resilient in the face of any challenges I face on stage.
3. My self-worth is not tied to the outcomes of my performance.
4. I release fear and embrace the joy of performing.
5. I focus on the present moment, letting go of all anxiety.
6. I trust in my skills and whatever rehearsal I did to guide me on stage.
7. I am confident in my ability to handle any situation.
8. My anxiety diminishes as I step into the spotlight.
9. I am the master of my anxiety. it no longer controls me.
10. Performing is a joyful expression of my talents, and I embrace it fully.
Affirmations for Charisma and Confidence on Stage
1. I exude charisma and magnetism when I’m in front of an audience.
2. My presence captures the audience’s attention effortlessly.
3. Confidence flows through me, enhancing my performance to it’s peak.
4. I am a natural-born performer. I captivate and engage my audience effortlessly.
5. Every step I take on stage radiates self-assurance.
6. I am a compelling and confident speaker/performer.
7. The stage is my playground, and I own it with charisma.
8. I connect deeply with my audience through my relatable and likable personality.
9. My stage presence is a reflection of my inner strength.
10. I inspire and uplift my audience with my confident energy.
Affirmations for Controlling Anxiety Symptoms
1. I am in control of my anxiety.
2. I replace anxiety with calmness and composure.
3. My body and mind are in perfect harmony during performances.
4. I release tension and embrace relaxation.
5. I conquer anxiety with every deep, soothing breath I take.
6. I am cool, calm, and collected under the spotlight.
7. My physical symptoms of anxiety subside as I focus on my performance.
8. I maintain a steady and confident presence on stage.
9. I dissolve anxiety by flooding my mind with positive thoughts.
10. I am the master of my emotions, and I am always in control.
Affirmations for Public Speaking
1. I am a confident and captivating public speaker.
2. My words flow eloquently as I captivate my audience.
3. Speaking in public comes naturally to me.
4. I thrive when sharing my thoughts and ideas with others.
5. Every word I speak commands attention and respect.
6. My public speaking skills continue to improve effortlessly.
7. I am an inspiring and influential speaker.
8. I embrace public speaking as an opportunity to connect.
9. My confidence soars as I address the audience.
10. Public speaking is a chance to shine, and I shine brightly.
(Read the article on Affirmations for Public Speaking – COMING SOON)
Affirmations to Overcome Fear of Judgment
1. I release the fear of being judged by others.
2. My worth is not determined by others’ opinions of me.
3. I am free from the burden of seeking validation.
4. I trust in my unique abilities and talents.
5. The opinions of others hold no power over me.
6. I am resilient in the face of criticism or judgment.
7. I embrace constructive feedback as an opportunity for growth.
8. I am confident in my authenticity and uniqueness.
9. My self-esteem is unshakable, no matter what others think.
10. I am free to express myself without any fear of judgment.
Affirmations to Relax and Get Rid of Trembling & Shaking
1. My body is calm, steady, and composed.
2. I release tension, and my body responds with grace.
3. I am in full control of my physical responses.
4. I embrace stillness and control on stage.
5. My hands and body remain steady and poised.
6. Calmness flows through me like fresh river water. Washing away all stress and anxiety.
7. I can see myself performing calmly and confidently on stage.
8. I relax into the spotlight, letting go of any trembling or shaking.
9. Even if there is some shaking and trembling, I embrace and acknowledge it as a natural part of preparation before performance.
10. I radiate confidence from head to toe in every part of my body.
Affirmations for Handling Criticism and Feedback
1. I welcome constructive feedback as a path to improvement.
2. I am open to learning and growing from criticism.
3. My self-worth is separate from external opinions.
4. I take feedback gracefully, using it to refine my skills.
5. I am resilient and unshaken by criticism.
6. I use feedback as a stepping stone to success.
7. Constructive criticism empowers me to become my best self.
8. I trust in my ability to handle feedback with grace.
9. Feedback helps me evolve into a stronger performer.
10. I appreciate and utilize feedback as a guide towards excellence.
How to Use Affirmations to Overcome Stage Fright
|Pick the top 10 affirmations for stage fright that are relevant to your particular situation and resonate with you the most. The ones that connect with you on a deeper level and feel the most meaningful to you.
|Write those affirmations on paper or on your phone and dedicate 5-10 minutes each day to focus on these affirmations. Pick a time that suits you best. First thing in the morning, during lunch break, before bed, you name it.
|As you say these affirmations, visualize them as if it’s your current reality. Vividly see yourself in a confident and relaxed state, performing on stage with excellence, captivating your audience, and just being your best self.
|As you do this practice, notice the shifts in your state of mind. Notice how you subtly grow more relaxed and confident, feeling a sense of motivation and excitement. Also notice any doubts, negative thoughts, or anxiety creeping in during this practice. Acknowledge those thoughts and gently let them go. It’s okay. You’re doing just fine. Just bring your focus back on positive and proactive thoughts and visualization.
|Be gentle and patient with yourself. Sometimes it can take a bit of time to start reaping the benefits of this practice. If you don’t feel any significant improvement in the first couple of days, it’s okay. Just trust the process and be consistent in your use of these affirmations.
|Periodically switch up your list of top 10 stage fright affirmations and pick new ones from this list. Bookmark this page so it’s easier for you to return to this list.
|Remember that affirmations are a “tool” designed to help you positively reprogram your mind toward improvement. Affirmations work best when complemented with practical actions such as setting goals for improvement, taking measures to eliminate negativity and distractions as much as possible, and making choices support your desired outcome.
Additional Resources to Overcome Stage Fright
Breathing and Relaxation Techniques to Overcome Stage Fright
Breathing and relaxation techniques can be super effective in overcoming stage fright. Use a couple of the following techniques every time before going on stage. Make them a part of your pre-stage prep.
Make sure to give yourself at least 5 minutes to practice these breathing and relaxation techniques.
1. Deep Breathing:
– Inhale deeply through your nose for a count of four.
– Hold your breath for a count of four.
– Exhale slowly through your mouth for a count of six.
– Repeat this cycle several times to calm your nerves and focus your mind.
2. Progressive Muscle Relaxation
– Start with your toes and work your way up, tensing and then releasing each muscle group.
– Pay attention to the sensation of relaxation as you release tension.
– This can help reduce physical symptoms of anxiety.
3. Box Breathing
– Inhale for a count of four.
– Hold for a count of four.
– Exhale for a count of four.
– Pause for a count of four.
– Repeat this pattern to regulate your breathing and calm your body.
– Close your eyes and visualize a calming place or scenario.
– Imagine yourself performing confidently on stage.
– Visualization can help reduce anxiety and boost your confidence.
5. Grounding Techniques
– Focus on your surroundings by naming five things you can see, four things you can touch, three things you can hear, two things you can smell, and one thing you can taste.
– This technique helps bring your attention to the present moment and reduce anxiety.
6. Yoga or Stretching
– Engage in gentle yoga or stretching exercises to release physical tension if you have the extra time and space before performance.
– Use calming essential oils like lavender or chamomile before your performance.
– The soothing scents can help reduce anxiety.
Different techniques work for different people, so it’s a good idea to experiment with these methods and find what works best for you.
Consistent practice of these techniques can help you manage stage fright and perform with greater confidence and composure.
Other Related Affirmations
Check out the following affirmations that might be relevant to your specific needs:
- Affirmations for Self-Doubt
- Affirmations for Focus
- Affirmations for Social Anxiety
- Affirmations to Overcome Insecurities
- Grounding Affirmations to Center Your Energy
- Affirmations for Job Interviews (Coming soon)
Hope these affirmations serve you well in overcoming stage fright. Best of luck for you performance/presentation!
See you in the next one!